Monday 9 May 2011

Paul Verlaine, Arthur Rimbaud, and Automatons...

So, I've always had a bit of a 'thing' for shoddy funfairs. The air brushed Ghost Trains, although.. you rarely see nicely painted ones anymore. Gaudy stripes and bulbs, they are disconcertingly lively places. Pier amusement arcades, noises, flashing lights.

It also transfered into 'theme' parks, dark rides, anything theatrical and audio based. I am especially enchanted with animatronics, I guess it must be that sense of the 'uncanny'.

Yesterday I discovered the sheer ecstasy of delight that is the 'Automaton'. They are so captivating that I actually feel the most intense desire to research, and make one of these myself. Here are some of my absolute favourites.




Apparently her harp is only visible at the point of death.





I also discovered Arthur Rimbaud, who might be my new favourite figure. And I nobbled a bunch of fantastic books from Red House's second hand stash, THEY ARE SO SO BEAUTIFUL. But damn I need to draw so bad it pains me, this weekend coming... I must do some.

No comments:

Post a Comment